Today’s charming Christmas Lantern block is designed by Diane of Cwilt. You’ll find the link to her free pattern on her blog here. Don’t delay. It’s free only until January 15th so download it today.
Tips for Success:
This pattern provides you with templates. I’ve used templates before but if you haven’t I’ve got a couple of tips for you as well as some general tips.
- I cut strips the needed width and then laid the template over the strip. Using a ruler and rotary cutter, I trimmed the ends. For example the Lantern frames are all 1″ wide and the windows are 2 1/4″.
- I laid the template on the fabric and carefully lined up my ruler’s 1/4″ on the finished line of the pattern (not the seam allowance). Using a rotary cutter, I then cut thus giving me the needed 1/4″ seam allowance.
- The Background top piece is 2 3/4″ X 12.5″. I did not use the template but just cut the piece this size. In fact, I cut this piece a tad larger than these dimensions so that I had some extra fabric for squaring.
- The Background bottom piece is 1 1/4″ X 12.5″. I did not use the template for this piece either. I also cut this piece a tad larger than these dimensions so that I had some extra fabric for squaring.
- After looking at my finished block, I could see that adding 1/4″ to the length of each of the two top background pieces that get added to the lantern roof would be helpful as that area came up a tad short.
- I deciphered the code for the windows!! TL = Top Left, TR = Top Right, ML = Middle Left, MR = Middle Right, BL = Bottom Left, BR = Bottom Right
- I made 2 bonus HSTs when I sewed the background top left and right pieces onto the lantern roof piece and you can too! I added them to my scrap stash to be used later. What would you use yours for?
After sewing on the lines, I cut them apart and press the seams.
Giveaway for completing this block
Post a picture on either Snowy Day’s Quilting party link on her blog or on the I Wish You a Merry Quilt-A-Long Facebook page or tag # #iwishyouamerryqal on Instagram to win some prizes. Remember you have until November 20th at 11.59 PM to link or post your pic to be entered to win.
Grand Prize Alert
At the end of the QAL there will be a link to download a picture of your finished quilt. To be eligible for the grand prize, you must make a quilt top using all twelve of the QAL blocks by January 16th, 2018. Thank you to all these sponsors for prizes.
Here’s all my blocks so far.
To find info on where to get the patterns, view my blocks, and read some construction tips, click on my links below.
- Block 1 – I am still working on block one. You can find the pattern for block one-snowflake here.
- Block 2 – My block two, tree farm is finished but I haven’t posted about it yet so you will have to be content with the teaser pic. You can find the pattern here.
- Block 3 – Santa’s Belt here
- Block 4 – Christmas Memories (ornaments) here
- Block 5 – Snowman here
- Block 6 – Angel here
- Block 7 – Poinsettia here
- Block 8-Presents here
- Block 9-Reindeer Games here
Meet the rest of the I Wish You a Merry Quilt-A-Long Hosts as they reveal their version of this block
- Pretty Piney
- Sparkle On
- JANDA Bend Quilts
- Snowy Days Quilting
- Cwilt Here’s the creative designer behind this tenth block in the I Wish You a Merry Quilt-A-Long. You’ll find the pattern here on her site as well as a full tutorial.
- The Inquiring Quilter
- Tu-Na Quilts, Travels, and Eats You are here. Thanks for stopping by.
- Slice of Pi Quilts
- SandyStar Designs
- Powered by Quilting
- Quilt in Piece
Block Release Schedule
- Block 11 – November 21, 2017
- Block 12 – December 5, 2017
- Setting Instructions – December 5, 2017
What I Learned Today:
- There are 48 days until Christmas.
- What happened to October?
- I’ve been more behind with things than ahead of schedule this year. I’ll get caught up one of these days.
Question: Are you a shop-at-the-last-minute type or shop/make-all-year type? When December rolls around and the turkey is finished, then I kick it into high gear and prepare for Christmas.
Thanks for stopping by and do come again.
Karen, Tu-Na Quilts
Block 10 Linky Party on Cwilt
Linky Tuesday at Freemotion by the River
Let’s Bee Social at Sew Fresh Quilts
Wednesday Wait Loss at The Inquiring Quilter
Midweek Makers at Quilt Fabrication
Finished or Not Friday at Busy Hands Quilt
Can I Get a Whoop Whoop? at Confessions of a Fabric Addict